Wednesday 13 May 2009

Felt Love - Nuno Felting

I was lucky enough to be asked to be a guest speaker at The College of Fine Arts this week. Of course my topic was felt. Researching for my presentation gave me a new invigoration for felting and I thought I would share something of my lecture here...

One of my favourite techniques is Nuno Felting... this is when a piece of silk or cotton fabric is embedded into the wool - the effect is something very magical - very fine but strong fabric can be achieved.

You can see a piece I was commissioned to make for a glass door... big pieces like this take a lot of patience!

Also, if you're interested in how Nuno felting is done there is a great YouTube video showing the artist Janice Arnold creating her modern yurt for the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum here.



1 comment:

Yumi said...

mmm beautiful emma!