Saturday 21 August 2010

1001 Journals...

As a kid I was an avid journal writer. My first proper diary had a lock and key and was called Igly... the ins and outs of a 12 year olds life can be quite funny to read... sibling warfare, favourite TV shows, hierarchy of friends and their ever changing positions - first best friend can quickly plummet to the bottom of the list over very minor issues.

I think I kept a journal on and off until about 5 years ago, which coincided with meeting NP, working a full time job and a realisation that over-thinking stuff doesn't help very much. Recently some of my old diaries have re-surfaced while packing boxes, making cleaning up about 300 times longer than it should be... I can't help but crack the spines of these old books and take trips down memory lane...

I'm sure for lots of bloggers these kind of spaces are substitutes for their journals. I'm often amazed at how open people are with their private thoughts on such a public space. There's always a line where I start feeling a little uncomfortable about how much I give away on Feeling Fuzzy? and I wonder if it's not enough or too much... I think I'll just trundle along and not worry too much about it.

Do you remember the 1000 Journal Project? It started a while back with journals travelling the world in a beautiful piece of collaborative artwork. I remember signing up knowing that there were slim chances of ever actually being sent or finding one.



Bird Textiles sent me an email last week about a new project called 1001 Journals, where individuals and groups can start there own travelling diary. So now there is a chance for everyone to join in!

All you do is register, find a book that is "Open" or "In Progress" and put your name on the list. I can't wait for it to arrive in the mail box!

1 comment:

Yumi said...

have you seen the film emsy? It looks really good....